Last week I finally got round to remaking a bead picture that I wasn't happy with. You may or may not remember the Marilyn Monroe/Miami Heat mashup picture I made a couple of years ago - here it is next to the original pic I used in the design.
I had seen the image on T-shirts in the crowd at Miami Heat games and decided it would make a good bead pic. I went large, making it to fit a 50x70cm frame, or at least I tried to! Back then I was a rookie in the bead game, and this project was a little more than I could handle at the time. Firstly, I hadn't pierced any holes in the tape before ironing it, and I over melted a patch of beads in the middle. I did manage to cut them out and replace them, but they looked noticeable compared to the rest of the picture. To try and hide this I ironed the front of the pic too (something I rarely do). This had the effect of making the picture warped and not totally flat. When I finally went to frame it, I realised I'd made it too small for the frame! To try and remedy this I added a couple of rows of beads along each edge (which took ages as I couldn't use pegboards), and ironed them together. This had the effect of making the edges look uneven and it still didn't fit the frame perfectly!
So overall, this picture was a NIGHTMARE to make. It was fine to look at from a short distance, but up close, all I could see were the numerous flaws I knew it had. And so last week I set myself the goal of starting it on Monday night and finishing it by Friday night.
I made a new design, this time using just black and white, and various reds. I also decided not to bead the background, in order to save time and beads, and also make the picture stand out against the background more. So I started, and immediately realised I didn't have enough light grey and dark grey beads... Not a good start, but I ordered what I needed and set about making what I could.
Luckily the beads I ordered turned up promptly, so it was only a couple of days before I had all I needed to finish!
Eventually the beads were all laid, and I corrected the design to more closely match the original picture.
Ironing went a lot better than last time, and the size was also perfect for the frame. Here are a few comparison shots:
As you can see from the pics, the old picture looks a lot less even, ironing-wise. It also shines a bit too much for my liking. The main reason I prefer not to iron the front of bead pictures is that it's pretty much impossible to get the beads to melt uniformly, especially when you use a mix of brands like I do.
I mounted the picture on black card, which makes it stand out brilliantly. Below is a close up, and also a pic of the portrait in its natural habitat, my downstairs toilet!
It took just under 9 hours to make, consists of around 12,000 beads, and I think it looks way better than the first one I made!
My name is Iain and my addiction is making pixel bead art. My main inspirations are comics, video games and movies.